XYLITOL IS ONE OF THE MOST TOXIC SOURCE OF POISIONING IN DOGS.
KNOW WHAT PRODUCTS CONTAIN XYLITOL
AND PREVENT YOUR DOGS FROM GOING NEAR THEM.
Most pet owners are aware of the common foods- such as onions and chocolate- that are toxic to dogs and cats, but there is a sneaky ingredient found in many household items that people need to be extra cautious about.
Xylitol, most commonly found in sugarless chewing gum, is one of the top toxins for dogs. This natural sweetener made Trupanion’s list of top ten poison and toxicity claims. Hailed as a healthy alternative to sugar for people, Xylitol has deadly consequences for our canine friends.
Recently, a 2-year-old golden retriever named Luna suffered severe liver damage after getting into a sealed package of sugarless gum. In just 24 hours, the Xylitol had done so much damage that Luna’s owners made the painful decision to put her down.
The reason dogs have such an adverse reaction to Xylitol is that their bodies are tricked into thinking their blood sugar levels are too high. The pancreas then produces excess insulin, causing their blood sugar levels to crash. Xylitol also causes seizures and liver damage and can rapidly lead to complete liver failure.
Symptoms of Xylitol toxicity include:
Weakness of limbs
Experts believe that Xylitol is 100 times more toxic to dogs than chocolate. Sugarless gum is the most common culprit, but other sources include:
If you suspect your dog has Xylitol poisoning, take them to the veterinarian immediately!
From: Animal Wellness Magazine, by J. Cabanaw 4/24/15